Friday, March 13, 2009

Recipe of the week (w/e 9-14-09)

Nothing too much new to report except that I've instituted a new policy...we will try a new recipe every week. Last night I made a really yummy supper called Pork and Apple Pan-Fry and Jillian wouldn't even try it. It was sweet and a really nice texture and everything but she was resistant. So I said to Dan, you know, Jillian used to try everything and now she's getting a little pickier. I think we need to have a new recipe every week to try new things. So we agreed. I'll post the recipes here and let you know whether it was a bomb or a hit:

Pork and Apple Pan-Fry


-1 T all purpose flour
-1 lb pork tenderloin, trimmed and cut into bitesize pieces
-2 T olive oil
-1 onion, finely chopped
-2 garlic cloves, chopped
-1 T very finely chopped fresh rosemary (I used dry and it was fine, next time I'll use a little less than 1 T though)
-1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
-2 dessert apples, peeled, cored and chopped
-generous 1 C vegetable stock (I used a C made with buillion because I didn't have stock)
-3 T sour cream (mine went bad so I used vanilla yogurt instead and it was good but really sweet so I'll use plain yogurt or sour cream next time)

Put flour in a bag or sealable bowl with salt and pepper to taste, add the pork. Shake to coat the pork, then turn on a plate, shaking off excess flour. Heat oil in a large skillet and cook pork, turning frequently, for 5 minutes or until sealed and browned all over. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened. Mix in the rosemary, carrot and apples, then cook for 4 minutes, or until the apples begin to break down. Pour in the stock and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and let simmer, partially covered, for 15-20 minutes, or until reduced and thickened (I added a little more flour and it still took the entire 20 minutes). Stir in the sour cream and heat through before serving. Serve with rice or egg noodles for a bed.

The reviews:

Me: Loved it but would prefer it with egg noodles rather than the Pasta Roni I made...2 saucy things together weren't that good.

Dan: Loved it

Aunt El: Liked it, but it was a little too sweet for her taste

Jillian: Blech, kind of like green olives

Allyson: Ate about half, seemed ok with it

The bottom line, I'd definitely make it again because sometimes the kids need to try something more than once but I'd tweak it from how I made it. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment